Friday, March 4, 2011

Beautiful Tragedy.

All these things you left behind
are symbols for a tortured mind;
a tortured body at my hands
anesthetized with one-night-stands.
The way you cry, I can't forget
the way it smells, your eyes are wet.
Your head and shoulders, on my neck,
the fragile things I'm sure to wreck.
I closed my eyes, shut out the rest.
Her head was resting on my chest.
She held me tight, my grip was slack
I closed my eyes and you came back.
It felt so wrong that it felt right
I stole your thought for just that night.
You or her? I couldn't tell.
It felt so good to hurt like hell.
And what I did was mean and cheap
But it's her place down on the street.
And it's your place up in my bed;
Though now you're only in my head.
I've written letters, never sent.
I've written songs, long to repent.
I bleed for you, I always will.
Your shoes are far too big to fill.
Make me happy, make me mad,
You were so good for all my bad.
A strange & hopeful kind of sad,
The beautiful tragedy that we had.


And I am poison, at least it feels that way, and it felt that way, every day.
But I must taste sweet, a bright light and these pretty moths; they fly into me.
Because I was broken and you were broken, and we were broken together.
Beyond compare, and in despair, We came together in hopes of repair.
But we both came away shattered.


I hope you build something perfect and solid out of the beautiful, jagged, broken pieces of your heart I left for you.
I am so sorry.










1 comment:

  1. I like this line, "She held me tight, my grip was slack." This was a great, subtle way to use description to express the feelings of both characters in this poem. It is clear that one person is invested and the other is not.

    I think its interesting that you have these two very different sections. The first part of this poem rhymes and seems to capture the moment of the mistake; however this second half where you stop rhyming and use longer lines is kind of a reflection on the experience.

    I feel bad for this speaker -- he's way too hard on himself! :)

    Prof Keck

    ReplyDelete